Review: Citadel Technical Paints - Verdigris

Product reviews, bake offs, figure/scale comparissons

Review: Citadel Technical Paints - Verdigris

Postby blackfly » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:22 am

Since I've spent a lot of time messing around with verdigris painting, I thought I might as well put one of the new Citadel Technical line of paints through the ringer. This one is actually called Nihlakh Oxide, because you can't copyright 'verdigris', and this is GW.

Lets have a look.

Here's what you get in the bottle, and on what comes off the brush straight out of the pot:

ImageImage

We'll use a bronze and copper wheel to experiment on:

(Vallejo Bronze 998, Reaper Master Series Coppery Orange 09102)

ImageImage

The following is a progression up through a few layers:

ImageImage

ImageImage

I finished these off with a quick ink wash so you can get a better idea of what they might look like in the end product, not just where you'd stop with the verdigris paint its self. I unfortunately seem to have deleted the final bronze image, and didn't realize it until I'd already re-painted the wheel for another review. For that you have my apology. Here is the final copper example, with a little Vallejo Smoke applied to dirty the whole thing up a touch:

And while you wouldn't really expect to see verdigris on steel, since its usually one of a couple copper compounds, I do see people using it to weather steel on miniatures, so here's a first coat and final look on steel, for those folks:

ImageImage

All in all I'd have to say this is my 2nd favorite of the 3 bottled verdigris products I've tested. It goes on thin, which is nice, and means its easy to avoid putting on too much at once. However it doesn't build up well. It's difficult to get the variation you'd see in real oxidation, and it goes from a thin film to opaque very quickly. At that point you might as well be using thinned turquoise paint rather than buying an additional bottle. I'm going to go out on a limb and venture thats what this is. It leaves the tiniest bit of chalky look to it, but less so than the Vallejo, and even more less than Modelmates. It does have a better overall color than than Vallejo however, and for that it gets the #2 spot.

Now that I've tested a few, here is my current ranking:

1. Modelmates Verdigris Effect Liquid - Green
  2. Citadel Nihlakh Oxide
  3. Vallejo Verdigris Glaze 932

Also don't forget that if you don't mind spending a little more time, you can get better verdigris effects by hand, using the paints you likely already have. Here's how!
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only yard work